Whether you’ve been paying close attention or not, the hemp industry is abuzz of late. With the growing interest in CBD oil, and the passage of the 2018 Farm Bill, the US (and the world) have quickly taken notice of this budding industry. Here are seven fun facts you may or may not have known about hemp.
- On an annual basis an acre of hemp will produce as much fiber as 2-3 acres of cotton and as much paper material as 2-4 acres of trees.
- Hemp can grow in all 50 states, and is ready for harvesting in as little as 90-120 days.
- Hemp can be used to create fiber boards that are both lighter and stronger than wood.
- The original U.S. Constitution was written on hemp paper.
- Industrial hemp contains little or no THC, the psychoactive chemical known for the high created by marijuana.
- Hemp contains Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA), which is incredibly healthy and is found naturally in breast milk.
- At one point in our country, before it was made illegal in 1937, hemp was considered legal tender and could be used to pay taxes.
Now that you have all the details on this incredibly versatile plant, don’t forget to thank us the next time you use your newfound knowledge to win a trivia contest or wow your coworkers at the water cooler. What other interesting facts have you discovered about hemp?